calories in cooked rice pin

T oday's diet Q&A comes from reader Ruby: How many calories in cooked rice?

I recently got this question in my inbox, which is a question I enquire google all the time. How many calories are in that location in a loving cup of cooked rice? So, I figured I'd get down to the reply once and for all!

The quick calories estimate

  • 1/two cup of cooked rice = 106 calories
  • 1 cup of cooked rice = 212 calories

I arrived with these numbers based on cooking my rice and measuring it first raw:

  • 1 cup dry out, raw white jasmine rice (200g) = 640 calories (according to the characterization)
  • Afterwards cooked according to package directions with 1 1/two cup water, it made three cups cooked that weighed 515 grams = and must also full 640 calories

Therefore, when made with ane.5 times rice to h2o, and portioned into 1/3 and one/2 cups, which is the way I would usually eat it, the calories for the cooked rice would:

  • 1/3 cup cooked = 71 calories and nigh fifteen grams of carbs, with zippo fat.
  • 1/two cup cooked = 106 calories and about 22 grams of carbs, with null fat.

But read on for the exceptions!

how many calories in rice cooked and dry

The problem with answering this calorie question is when you are using a tracking tool like MyFitnessPal, you lot get a variety of answers. So, which MyFitnessPal list is accurate? I mean, look at my screenshot below to see how disruptive information technology could be.

calories in cooked rice from myfitnesspal

So, in order to find out for myself, I weighed my rice before and afterward cooking to get the almost accurate calorie count for cooked rice.

The discrepenies in calorie counts for rice are normally because:

  • A various amounts of water is used to melt the rice
  • A various amount of grains are used
  • Cooking times vary, causing a dissimilar yield in volume.
  • and measurements are sometimes in grams, sometimes by volume.

I saw this first hand when I inverse the amount of water I used to melt rice from i.five times h2o to rice ratio, to two times h2o to rice ratio.

When I used 2 X water to rice ratio, the same 1 cup of raw, dry white Jasmine rice made iii 1/2 cups cooked rice, rather than 3. And then, you can potentially eat a bigger basin of rice, for the same amount of calories past increasing the water y'all melt it in. I do this with oatmeal all the time! (see my high volume oatmeal hither)

Is Brown Rice Healthier?

If yous are looking at calories and macros alone, there isn't a huge deviation between brown rice and white. There is a 2 grams more cobweb in 1/4 cup of raw chocolate-brown rice, equally well as some Iron and potassium. Otherwise, they are pretty similar.

Many people ask why my repast plans all accept white rice on them. (get my repast plans here). The simple reason is, I think it tastes amend, and the food divergence isn't big plenty for me to change my preferences. Likewise, my family unit prefers white rice, and I don't like preparing different meals for the family.

Lastly, I really like the idea that white rice might absorb more chop-chop than dark-brown. If I'm going on a run or a workout, quick acting carbs give me more free energy, and rice is so gentle on the stomach, it's a great pre-workout food.

calories and macros white rice vs brown
Calories and macros for chocolate-brown rice vs white rice

Can you consume rice and still lose weight?

YES! I ate rice the entire time I was losing weight, and got lean plenty to get on stage in a bikini! You'll observe almost all physique athletes non just keep carbs similar rice in their diet while they are losing, but it's essential for them to perform in the gym and build muscle.

Don't hesitate to keep rice in your diet during weight loss. Knowing the calories and macros and keeping your portions in check is the most of import thing.

Do you have any questions about calorie counting? HMU! I'd dear to answer them!

Pivot this mail service for later!

calories in cooked rice pin